We see and read and see lots of stuff from Sydney’s footy history but sometimes we come across some real gems.
In our efforts to include more data on our OCR programme we have almost finished scanning all the NSW Football League’s, or as they are now titled, AFL(NSW/ACT) annual reports. (We must tell you here that the organisation has had several name changes over the years.)
Reading some of these publications can have a profound affect on those really interested in football history.
For example, skimming through early WWII league annual reports, just shows what a battle it was to conduct the competition in Sydney.
For a start there was a paper shortage so in 1941 the report only consisted of four pages and to conserve paper, the normal page two, where officials were listed, was published on the front cover. The other pages were printed front to back for the remainder in the roneoed document..
Right up to the 1980s, the league’s annual report began with the greeting “Gentlemen ….” Not many women in executive positions in those days.
In some of those war year’s issues, there were personal notes written against peoples names and the room would be full on the night of the meeting.
The venue for the league’s annual meeting varied from various locations in the city, all of which have since been demolished. But they were the times when the vast majority of the attendees (sample shown in photo above taken at the Sydney Sports Club, Hunter Street), club delegates, league officials and umpiring officials would have had to have caught a tram, bus or train home after the gathering – given that the meeting did not begin until 8:00pm.
Competition was fierce to gain a place on the league’s administration and it may have taken several years to be elected to a seat on the board. A public vote was always taken for life members and there would have been severe embarrassment for those who were voted down, which sometimes happened. They was not hidden ballots then.
Finding volunteers to administer the game then, as is the case now, was not easy. Clubs could reasonably rely on ex-players to taken on positions but those who conducted league affairs were few and far between and these honorary officials really had to be dedicated. There were sub-committees most had to join up to and it was not uncommon for the league secretary and treasurer to attend in excess of 40 meetings a year.
The photograph is of a young Ken Ferguson who was league Secretary for a total of 28 years, 24 of those in an honorary capacity.
The league board met each Monday night during the season right up until 1980.
In 1943 there were some wonderful footballers playing in Sydney having been posted here for training during hostilities. For the most part they were evenly, but directed, shared around the clubs and many were from the VFL, SANFL and WANFL.
In 1943 the nation’s prime minister, John Curtin, one of the country’s most outstanding leaders ever in our history was patron of the league. The former VFA player attended several games at Trumper Park during the season and on one one occasion addressed both teams in their rooms after the game.
This was the year that football first began to play of a Sunday mostly due to the lack of grounds but the initiative saw attendances sky-rocket.
In 1944, Corporal Alby Morrison, former captain of Footscray was the leader of the RAAF club that competed in the Sydney competition during that period. Although the awarding of the Phelan Medal (the league’s B & F) had been suspended, the talented Morrison, who had represented Victoria and would subsequently be chosen in Footscray’s Team of the Century, was presented with a cup in 1944 for The Best and Most Consistent Player in the Sydney league.
Also in the same year, Collingwood captain, Private Phonse Kyne, who was also stationed in Sydney and captain coach of the St George club, was awarded a cup for Outstanding Fair Play. Kyne would go on to win three Copeland Trophies at Collingwood and coach the club to two premierships. Neither of these clubs won the premiership in 1943 or 1944.