1929 Rolled around just like another season in Australian Football in Sydney but there were a few changes and surprises.
St George was admitted to the first grade competition and this was despite two clubs voting against their admission. The previous year they had participated in the reserve grade and a few years previous also had one or two seasons in the seconds. Their driving force was their president a Rockdale bank manager, Andrew Glass.
The League secured a six year lease of Erskineville Oval at £500 per annum ($37,628 in today’s money). In the agreement, £100 had to be spent on improvements each year during that period to the oval.
Because the Rugby Union pushed the bid, the league had to pay £200 for the use of Trumper Park in 1929, and extra £40 more than in the previous year.
A new ground was introduced to the League in Kensington Oval. This was built over a sandy waste through which a stream led from the ponds in Centennial Park to the Botany Swamps (funny how the name of the water repositories change as the standing of the suburb then was much lower in the pecking order). The controlling body paid £60 pounds to Randwick Council for its use. St Lukes Oval, Burwood and North Sydney Oval were two which were also used in the competition that year.
Alexandria Park and Marrickville Oval though, were both lost to Rugby League.
The League continued with the same admission fee to the grounds at one shilling to the outer and one and six pence to the grandstand ($3.76 & $5.64 today). They also sold season tickets which purchasers could buy at twelve shillings and sixpence ($47.00 today).
Only after one year at the helm, S H Donnelly stood down as League president with the position going to solicitor and WWI veteran, Aub Provan, formerly a player with the Newtown Club. H Gordon Harris, another Tasmanian, replaced L W Percy as League secretary.
The season was opened with a two team interstate Railways Carnival, South Australia and New South Wales. Their solitary game was won by the latter.