The Football History Society has further developed their database on grounds the game has used for either playing or training in NSW.
Some grounds have already been listed on this website, however the Society’s programmer has undertaken more work on the project which has revealed additional grounds and fields that have been utilised for Australian Football over the past 140 years.
It is still early days with this work and many grounds, whilst on the unpublished list, are yet to be added. To provide involvement for the wider football community within the state, Society officials are keen to offer a facility on this site for local people within your area to add grounds and fields and/or amend the details that have already been listed. This is another part of the project still under deliberation.
Society treasurer, John Addison said “there could be a story or background to a field or oval that we don’t know about and we are keen to add these details to the comments area on the particular ground.”
“Please, take the opportunity to check out what we do have and if you can add something, let us know.”
The grounds database can be viewed by clicking here. However a working list of grounds, yet to be added to our online list can be viewed here. As you can see we do not have full details of these and other grounds, so send us an email with any grounds that you may know of.
Over the years there have been many, many clubs in a senior division that have come and gone. As well, there probably have been junior clubs that have bitten the dust over the years but they are a lot harder to identify. At least we have the media and to a certain extent old Football Records to secure our information from.
Here is a list we quickly put together of the clubs that we know of that no longer exist:
South Sydney, Sydney (Naval), West Sydney, Darlington, Glebe, East Hills, Rosebery, Lauriston Park, Newtown, Randwick, St Peters, Liverpool, Bankstown, Bankstown Sports, Carlton, Botany, Ashfield, Paddington, Eastern Suburbs, Railways, Tramways, Teachers College, Redfern, YMCA, Ashfield, Alexandria, St Ives, Salasians, Parramatta, Blacktown, RAAF, Illawarra, Hawkesbury Ag College, Mt Druitt, Penshurst, Combined Services, Ermington.
Some of these clubs were in the Metropolitan National Football Association (MANFA), some participated in the 1880s and in the early part of the last century.
Also, the grounds the game is and has been played on in Sydney; there must be hundreds of them.
Grounds Used in NSW For Australian Football
Check this link out to see a list of those we know. You might be able to fill in the gaps or add some more, let us know.
If you know of any more clubs or grounds that can be added to our list from right around NSW, please email us.
You would be surprised at the list of different grounds that have been used in Sydney over the years.
Today we are used to say, Picken Oval, Olds Park and maybe Henson Park, but there have been many, many others.
One obscure ground is Kensington Oval which is located in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, between Kensington and Kingsford. It is not longer used by the code.
It was constructed in 1928 from a sandy area on land which was also part of the catchment for the Botany Swamps which was used for Sydney’s water supply in the 19th century.
The ground came online in 1928 and in 1929 was one secured by the league as a venue for first grade matches at a lease fee of £60 ($4,500 today) per annum. At the same time the league paid £500 for year for six years for the use of Erskineville Oval with £100 ($7,500) of that money to be used for improvements to the ground. A challenge by Rugby Union pushed the fee for the use of Trumper Park from £100 in 1928 to £160 ($12,000) in 1929; and these when in the times when admission to the ground was one shilling ($3.75), grandstand one and six ($5.65) or patrons could purchase a season ticket for twelve shillings and sixpence ($47.00).
Randwick Council built a grandstand for patrons but because the ground was not totally fenced, charging admission was a folly and most wrote off the use of the ground as a financial stream to the league.
South Sydney started training at the ground in 1928, previous to this they had trained at the now built on, Australian Football Ground which was on the corner of Botany and Gardeners Road, Alexandria. Prior on Moore Park.
During the 1930s depression the out of work players and those on shift work volunteered their time to realign the ground and at the same time lengthen it. A report from the Sydney Football Record in 1937 said
“There were scenes of great activity at Kensington Oval during the week. A small army of workmen cut away the high ground outside certain portions of the fence to enable the extension of the playing area to comply with the measurements required by the code.
This, coupled with the fact that the ground has been newly top-dressed and harrowed will make the oval comparable with the best Australian Football Ground in the state. By 8 May the full playing area will be ready to use. No more will it be known as the despised ‘marble ring’ as the added length and wide pockets will give ample room to flank men thus opening up possibilities for more brilliant play.
The dimensions of the oval will be 140 yards x 150 yards, five yards less than the Sydney Cricket Ground and the major axis will run parallel to the grandstand, thus affording the spectators a better view.”
The ground fell out of permanent match use when the league introduced Sunday matches which made available Erskineville Oval or Trumper Park to be used on consecutive days over the weekend.
South Sydney initially had use of the top potion of the grandstand as a clubroom however it was soon taken over by the local council to use as a library repository. Local junior rugby league began to use the ground for weekend matches and in 1974 South Sydney moved to Erskineville Oval as a training venue.
In the latter part of his 79 years, Jim Phelan, largely regarded as the father of football in NSW, wrote articles for the local press and more particularly for the Sydney Football Record.
As far as the Record Editor was concerned, these were good to use as ‘fillers’; something to fill a space when the normal correspondent had not submitted his literary obligation.
But to the reader all these years later, they provide a more personal explanation of what and when things took place in football. Phelan quite often wrote about the old times in Sydney and while his passing years may have clouded his memory somewhat the essence of the facts were still there.
Hereunder is an article written by him not long before his death in 1939. It talks about the reconstruction of the now not used Erskineville Oval, the scene of many great games and grand finals over the years. The original ground, very much smaller than the present oval, ran east-west and was located more well to the west of the present ground. In fact it took up an area where the public housing flats are now located in a section of land between Copeland and Ashmore Streets known as McDonaldtown Park and ran from Binning Street through to Mitchell Road.
In the reconstruction of the ground was very much under the eye of Phelan, who lived in the adjacent Binning Street and was an alderman on the then Erskineville Council. A number of adjoined tenement houses in Swanson Street were demolished and new streets in Elliott and Fox Avenues were constructed together with quite a number of public housing units or flats.
The new ground was then built in a north-south profile as it now appears however because of its size the end boundaries were quite close the the adjacent streets.
The Alexandria-Erskineville Bowling Club was not built until 1956.
Here is what Phelan wrote and remember it was written in 1939:
As the new oval progresses towards completion, numberless questions have been asked as to its future tenancy. To one and all my answer has been that such is in the lap of the Gods.
The present day anxiety being evinced has been displaced the one time aversion and antipathy to Erskineville Oval. One sees many changes in the relatively short space of 40 years. Evolution is all around us working perhaps slowly, but nevertheless surely. Such can be said of the game itself.
The 20 aside game of my day, and the concomitant little marks have improved, others in the mind of enthusiastic old timers, have declined and the day is not far distant when a halt will surely be called to the alternation of rules of the game. So much, by the way.
By reason of the many changes in the administrative personnel of the NSW League since its inception in 1903, and the fact that early books and records are not in possession of present officials, a complete history of the league operations is well night impossible. However, as one (and the only one) who can lay claim to have been present at every annual meeting of the League since its inception, I am confident that memory will serve me right in this effort to set forth details in connection with playing grounds and Erskineville Oval in particular.
Following the great success of the Fitzroy-Collingwood initial match on the Sydney Cricket Ground in 1903 the following clubs were formed:- Sydney, Paddington, East Sydney, Balmain, North Shore, West Sydney, Redfern, Newtown, Ashfield, Y.M.C.A. and Alexandria. As Rugby League was then non-existent the securing of playing grounds was simply a question of ability to pay for the use of them.
The formation of eleven clubs following the Fitzroy-Collingwood game is indicative of the enthusiasm aroused at the time. The wisdom of accepting such a number of clubs was questioned at the time by some of the then League members. Within a short space of time Ashfield and Alexandria clubs dropped out. The remaining clubs, however, continued to exist for some years.
Since the inception of the League, premiership final games have been played on the following grounds:- 1903, 1904, 1908 and 1909, Sydney Cricket Ground No. 1; 1905 and 1915 Sydney Cricket Ground No. 2; 1906, 1916, 1917 and 1918 Agricultural Showground (now Fox Studios); 1907 Kensington Racecourse (now University of NSW), 1911, 1912 and 1913, Australian Football Ground, Alexandria; 1910, 1914, 1919 and from thence on, Erskineville Oval.
The foregoing supplies a most effective answer to those who continually assail me for my advocacy of Erskineville Oval, with the one plea “that the game generally, and the finals in particular should be played on a central ground, to wit the Sydney Cricket Ground, or the Agricultural Showground”. In their ignorance, or antipathy to Erskineville Oval, they did not know, or if knowing would not admit the fact that central grounds had been tried and financial results were overwhelmingly in favour of Erskineville Oval.
While I have always thought, and expressed myself as occasion arouse, that false modesty is as bad an attribute as overweening vanity, I feel that it would not be desirable to set forth in this short article the various episodes that arose in connection with the retention of Erskineville Oval as the home ground for the game in Sydney.
The concern that was almost wholly mine, during the past 21 years is now being shared by others as the time approaches when “farewell” must be said to the ground that has served the League for a generation, and whose atmosphere is, on the whole, more congenial in a football sense than that of any other playing ground controlled by the League.
“Gone from the old home, gentlemen, moved up into the now,” will, I trust, be the greeting to patrons of the game in 1940.
With the changing nature of the area, the Newtown Club has been ressurected, albeit in a junior club, and a very successful one too, which plays out of Sydney Park, the old brick pit at St Peters.
It is interesting to note in the current day map, the change of the name of the Kurrajong Hotel to the Swanson Hotel.
All keen judges of the Australian game were satisfied with the initial success of district club football introduced in 1926. It was said that much doubt had disappeared from the minds of those who were inclined to be somewhat sceptical at the close of the 1925 season; Then, Football was like other forms of sport: Out of season, out of mind.
Failure of the District Scheme? Why, who would hear of that when talking of the Australian Game? The feature of it being the national game of Australia, played in every State to an over whelming majority of supporters would let the season itself tell its tale.
It was with some misgiving on the part of many club delegates that district football was not expected to succeed and that the dissolution of four successful clubs (Paddington, East Sydney, Railway and Balmain) of the previous season would make for the betterment of the game.
On the other hand, it was said “never in the history of the Australian game in N.S.W. had the prospects been brighter than in 1926.” The introduction of the district scheme had infused new life and vigour into the various clubs comprising the league. And when the season commenced “the game was the thing, and there is and was nothing like it in all the world.”
And so went the rhetoric as the 1926 season began. Change is sometimes hard to accept and adopt to.
Fortunately it turned out a splendid success, though the amalgamation of Paddington and East Sydney players of previous seasons initially looked to many to be a case of trying to mix oil and water. However contrary to expectation, they were well led which helped them unite, proving a very happy family finally carrying off the season’s premiership.
One of the greatest successes for the year was the formation of the Western Suburbs Club and this happened only weeks before the season’s start. The Railways club was disbanded but their nucleus, combined with a number of fine players of East Sydney’s 1925 team formed the Western Suburbs Club. In fact they succeeded in getting together an 18 which worthily filled the position of runner-up.
By round 5, Wests were undefeated and under ideal conditions at Erskineville Oval, attracted a crowd of 3000 to watch them defeat leading club Newtown. This was a record gate for a club game in Sydney and with its fast and furious play justified the attendance of such a large crowd.
There were also new grounds in the competition, for both matches and training. Games were played at North Sydney, Chatswood, Marrickville, Erskineville and Hampden (Trumper Park) Ovals.
While the clubs used the following grounds for training: Newtown – Erskineville Oval, Western Suburbs – Pratten Park, Sydney – Sydney Sports Ground, Eastern Suburbs – Hampden Oval, North Sydney (North Shore) – St Leonards Park and South Sydney – YMCA Ground (formerly the Australian Football Ground) at Alexandria or North Botany (Mascot). The South Sydney coach boasted 72 at training on one occasion.
The ultimate success of the 1926 season put the League in a satisfactory enough financial position and supplemented with the holding of regular meetings during the summer months, ensured a record kick off for the following year. Though, some said, there was still much to be done. One of the principal matters concerning officials was the appointment of a paid secretary and organiser, some suggesting that “the work entailed in the position of secretary of the league was far too great to expect from one acting in a honorary capacity.” The appointment never came.
Searching through Sydney newspaper we came across the following article in a 1922 issue.
It had to do with the allocation of grounds and the author didn’t spare any ‘beg your pardons’ in his appraisal of the situation:
“There is one thing vexing the New South Wales League, that is, the question, are Australians foreigners? This Question is prompted by the grossly unfair treatment accorded the New South Wales League by the Marrickville, Hurstville and Ashfield Municipal Councils, who “dressed in a little brief of authority cut such fantastic tricks before high Heaven as make the angels weep”.
The cause of the kick is this: It is usual, prior to the opening of the Winter season for all Councils controlling grounds to advertise in the daily press calling tenders for the leasing of their grounds for Winter Sports.
The Australian Rules League of New South Wales tendered £150 for Marrickville Oval. The Rugby League’s tender for same was £135. The latter was accepted. Why in the name of heaven was £15 thus thrown away by the little Puddlington of Marrickville the ratepayers should want to know. Not only this, why should the Australians be boycotted when they were prepared to pay cash in advance? Will the other body do the same? What strings were pulled to influence the decision of the tender? It is British fair play which we hear so much about, or are Hun methods still running the Marrickville Municipality?
At Hurstville something similar was enacted. The “Aussies” tendered £25 for Penshurst Park. The wise men of Hurstville evidently did not require money to put their streets and parks in order, the ratepayers can find the brass for those purposes. The Rugby League tender for exactly half that amount was accepted. It looks like more boodling, what! The City Council Tammany Ring was not a circumstance to it.
At Ashfield, tenders were called for Pratten Park. Australians bid £200, Rugby £155. Again Rugby scooped the pool, but under somewhat different circumstances. The Ashfield Council in their wisdom decided that tenders were not high enough. Fresh tenders were invited. Australian League bid £250, but still Rugby secured the bacon. How do they do it? Surely there are enough fair-minded patriots and sports in these particular suburbs to see that justice is done. The Dinkum Aussie only asks a fair deal without fear or favour, not only for Australian football but for all and any other winter sport; and they protest against one body securing the whole of the playing spaces in and around Sydney to the detriment of all other sports. If such practices continue there is only one course to pursue, for all the other sporting bodies to combine and secure grounds which they may share on an equitable basis.
At present the League, which happens for the moment to be top dog, secures all the bone, but may find that a united attack by the smaller tribe may deprive it of the spoil. Remember the adage of the dog and the shadow, where he tried to collar too much and lost all – moral, don’t be too greedy.”
All this came hot on the heels of the NSW Australian Football League successfully tendering for North Sydney Oval in 1921.
Their offer of five hundred pounds (an unbelievable $37,500 in today’s money) plus 20% of the gate for the winter lease of North Sydney Oval was accepted. The offer tipped out the long term Rugby League tenants, North Sydney Rugby League club, who offered one hundred pounds plus 10% of the gate. The AFL’s offer, considering the limited crowds the game attracted then, (but 1000 times more than now) could be viewed as quite farcical.
One of the great issues of the period was the number of enclosed grounds in Sydney, unlike Melbourne, there were not that many and it was an annual challenge between Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer and Australian Football as to who got what ground. Of course Rugby League were successful in most although Australian Football only required three grounds per weekend.
In 1922 the Australian game only ended up with two enclosed grounds, Erskineville Oval and Trumper Park. They had to play their other games on open parks like Alexandria Oval, Moore Park and North Sydney Oval No. 2, now St Leonards Park. There was no football played on Sundays in those days.
This week we updated the 1960 Sydney Football Records Collection online and found them very interesting reading.
This now completes the full quota of Football Records published in that year. To view, click here.
Unique to this season was the posting of more than one Record per round. Then, the league printed a certain number of Football Records for each particular match which included the team lists of only those competing teams. So in effect, each game received a different Record.
More interestingly is the posting of the full publication of all the Records from the Australian National Football Council Section 2 Championships played at Trumper Park in Sydney over a period of seven days.
With the passage of time and the constant change of administrators at the NSW Football League, this is one series that has been forgotten.
The combatants were: NSW, VFA, Queensland and Canberra, the latter played under that title until midway through the 1970s. Here are the results:
As well, there were some extraordinary lead-up games, particularly the games played during the week.
Before the VFA v Canberra match, Sydney University, who were not competing in the Sydney league that year, 13-11 (99) d Combined Newcastle 6-5 (41).
In the match Canberra v Qld, the curtain raiser was East Side v West Side while on the following day, which turned out to be the final in the game VFA v NSW, the Navy 9-16 (70) d Army 4-9 (33).
A very interesting aspect to the 1960 season which a few readers may remember, was the opening of the Frank Dixon (pictured) Stand at Trumper Park. It replaced a dilapidated timber grandstand which was built early in the first decade of last century and stood almost on the corner of Glenmore Road and Hampton Street. At its best it held 150 people with the change rooms at the top of the stairs, which proved a real problem with players, dodging the females with whirling umbrellas while running to their cold showers after the game.
The new stand was opened on 25 June by Sydney Lord Mayor Harry Jensen and named after a legend of the game in Sydney. Frank Dixon was a former deputy Lord Mayor of Sydney.
This new stand, since remodelled if not almost destroyed, will seat 1500 people and has first class amenities, including tiled bath and shower rooms and dance hall and refreshment room.
Australian football has been played competitively in Sydney since 1880, save for the period between 1895-1903.
It has had its ups and downs in all of that period; successes and failures and of course some were minor catastrophes for the code here. There are too many to list at this juncture but it makes for good copy in future postings on the website.
And yet with this pessimistic opening to this story there were often glimpses of hope, just like the feelings of a league official in 1908 when he wrote:
“There is no smooth path for workers in the cause in Sydney; It is filled with rocks thorns and interminable bush, which have to be cut away by real hard graft and whole-hearted enthusiasm. There is a light shining through the bush, however, and that is the increased attendance at matches.
True, there has not been any charge for admission at most of the games; still, one could not help being struck with the sangfroid of hundreds while standing round the boundary in drenching rain watching the semi-final, East Sydney v. Redfern. It said much for their enthusiasm and love of the pastime. The final last Saturday attracted a large crowd to Erskineville Oval, where a charge was made for admission, the pavilion being crowded with ladies.
It was a very pleasing sight, and gladdening to the heart of the enthusiast.
If an enclosed ground can be secured next season, revenue will come in, ladies will be able to attend matches, and an increased inducement given to many young fellows to don a jersey. An official ground as the headquartcrs of the game in Sydney is badly needed, and must be obtained somehow.
Perhaps that prince of organisers, Mr. J. J. Virgo, may do something in this connection for his club and incidentally for the League and the game generally. Should he set the machinery in motion, success is almost assured for he is Napoleonic in his ideas regarding that small word, ‘impossible.’ ”
Well the league did purchase a ground; an old racecourse which was located on the north-west corner of Botany and Gardeners Roads, Mascot, now overtaken by factories. After spending thousands of dollars on this project an over enthusiastic administration saw it swallowed up in debt as the first world war began.Click the image to show where it was located.
One of the major problems with the advancement of football in Sydney was the lack of enclosed grounds, where an admission fee could be charged. Normally there was at least one ground where a fee could be applied but the remaining games were played on open parks like Birchgrove Oval, Rushcutters Bay Park, Alexandria Oval and Moore Park. Yes hundreds, if not thousands, watched the games in those early days but without money, and the main source was from gate takings, the exercise was futile and it did not get any better as time went on.
At one stage in the 1920s, League Secretary, Jim Phelan, advocated a reduction in teams which would then lower expenses and give the league full control over the two grounds over which they, for the most part, had control, Erskineville Oval and Trumper Park.
This attitude, of course, was a nonsense. Sydney was expanding and yet the league did nothing to facilitate new clubs in the developing areas. For many decades their focus was on established and populated areas such as Newtown, East Sydney, South Sydney and Sydney itself. All of these clubs have since disappeared.
Even in 1963 when a successful effort was made to establish a club at Parramatta, there were no real concessions. They were given lip service until a year or two later when coerced into amalgamating with the Liverpool/Bankstown club, which itself was a combination of two sides in a burgeoning Sydney. They formed the Southern Districts Club, now, they too are long since gone.
Its all well and good to preach “what if” now but even if a little foresight could have been applied then, some planning some forecasting, football in Sydney may well have developed differently.
Notes [i] Up to about 1980, grounds used by the league were managed and operated by the league. They took the gate receipts and paid the bills relating to the ground. [ii] The Erskineville Oval referred to in this article is the old Erskineville Oval, situated about 100m west of the present ground with an east-west orientation. [iii] The ground at Moore Park is still used for Australian football and now the home of the Moore Park Tigers junior football club.
Clubs in Sydney have used many different grounds throughout their history. As well as the home grounds set out below, there are also many other neutral grounds that clubs have used over the years.
Manly Warringah have used Weldon Oval at Curl Curl for nearly all of their history. The only exception to this was for two years from 2009 to 2010 when Pittwater Oval was used. During those years, Weldon Oval was being redeveloped, and was out of commission.
Pennant Hills have also had a reasonably stable ground tenancy. Ern Holmes Oval, previously called Pennant Hills Oval No 2, has been used for almost all of its history. The narrow shape of the ground was the main factor leading to Pennant Hills recent relocation to Mike Kenny Oval at Cherrybrook.
The Western Suburbs Club is another case altogether. They have used several grounds throughout their history. In the early years after their formation in 1947/48 Wests firstly played their home games at Henson Park Marrickville. They then moved to St Lukes Oval, Concord. Matches were also possibly played at the nearby, Concord Oval. In 1957, Wests moved to Picken Oval at Croydon Park. That was a privately owned ground by Bill Picken, a trotting trainer. A trotting track surrounded the ground where the horses were used in training. Wests built their licensed club adjacent to the ground. Unfortunately, a dispute between the licensed club and a member of Mr Picken’s family led to the club losing the use of the ground.
The then club set about redeveloping a disused brick pit at Ashbury, which was to become W H Wagener Oval. Many hours of volunteer labour were put into the new ground, but several years were to pass whilst the surface settled after its being filled. During that period, Wests used Macquarie University Oval for its home games. The club found that crossing the Parramatta River was just too far for the club’s supporters, and no doubt fewer people ventured back to the licensed club. so the Club then moved its home games for one season to Outer Jensen Oval at Sefton. That was the home ground of Bankstown Sports Club (who later moved to Kelso Oval).
At last W H Wagener Oval became West’s ground , although a relatively short distance from Wests Licensed Club it was still a reasonable barrier to patrons returning to the clubrooms. In more recent years, Picken Oval reverted to Council ownership, and the juniors played their games there. An upgrade to Picken, including the building of an amenities area, led to Western Suburbs returning to their home at Picken Oval not that long ago.
St George in its earliest years mainly used the grounds arranged by the league including SCG No 2, Erskineville Oval and Trumper Park. Home games were played occasionally at Kogarah Jubilee Oval. Hurstville Oval became St George’s home ground for several years, before Olds Park at Mortdale became their home in 1965. Some matches have been played at Olds Park No 2, but mainly for lower grades. Redevelopment of Olds Park led St George to also play some games at Bankstown Memorial Oval as well as Kelso Oval, Panania.
Most of Sydney Uni’s games have been played at University Oval No 1. The adjacent University Oval No 2 has also hosted games. Recently several games have also been played at St Paul’s Oval which is also on the University campus with then entry off City Road.
Both of the founding clubs of University of NSW- East Sydney have had several home grounds. For this discussion, Eastern Suburbs for most of their existence played at Trumper Park, Paddington. Easts also played some home games in the 1950s at Waverley Oval, Bondi and slightly earlier at The Sydney Sports Ground. The Sports Ground no longer exists, but it was in Driver Avenue, Moore Park, next to the also demolished, SCG No 2. This was basically where the SCG car park is today.
University of NSW originally played on neutral grounds such as Trumper Park and Erskineville Oval. In the late 1970s they used the Little Bay Sports Complex, part of the Uni of NSW Sports Fields. The land was later sold off and used for housing. The facilities at Little Bay were quite good, but the ground was often subject to strong winds, being very close to the coast. Uni of NSW moved to the Village Green at the main campus at Kensington. Village Green is the home ground of the new unified club.
North Sydney Oval was, for a long period, used as North Shore’s ground. Chatswood Oval was also used in the 1930s.
The church across the road from North Sydney Oval in Miller Street used to object to the sounds of the whistle, and the bell or siren to mark the quarter start or endings, whilst their services were conducted on Sunday Mornings. This forced their Under 19s games during the 1960s and 1970s to be played at the desolate, Gore Hill Oval, whilst Reserve and First Grade were played at North Sydney Oval No 1.
The ground was really too small for Australian Football and costs became prohibitive when the council redeveloped the ground building extensive and historic grandstands. North Shore then relocated to Gore Hill Oval at St Leonards. During their relocation era, a number of home games were also played at Macquarie University Oval.
UTS, despite being the most recently formed club participating in Premier League, have already played at two different home grounds. Trumper Park was no longer used for senior football when East Sydney merged with Uni of NSW, so UTS secured the long term AFL ground. UTS adopted the Bats emblem from the fruit bats that occupy the large trees surrounding Trumper Oval. More recently, Waverley Oval, with its newly constructed grandstand is now shared with Trumper Oval for UTS home games.
When the Campbelltown club first entered the senior competition in Sydney in the mid 1970s, they played at the Ingleburn Army Base ground. Then they relocated to Memorial Oval, Ingleburn. Upon their promotion to what is now Premier League they moved to Macquarie Fields Oval, originally called Edelsten Oval after Dr Geoffrey Edelsten. The ground has since had several name changes.
How many grounds in and around Sydney have been used for Australian Football over the years? Do you know?
Oh you probably can count ten or so off the top and as your mind ticks over you might come up with some more.
Well the Society felt it was high time a census was done on the grounds that are or have been used for Australian Football in Sydney; and not just a list of names. What we want is a plethora of information on various grounds and ovals extending as far south as Wollongong and north to Gosford.
Its an interesting topic and probably one that should have been done some years ago for no other reason than collecting a database of grounds will also reflect on the game’s development and demise in certain sections of the city.
If you double click the icon in the introduction you will see the front page of the document we will be circulating amongst current and former club officials to get an idea of those that are and have been used and what information we require.
Here are a list of grounds we have compiled but as we mention this subject more appear:
Australian Football Ground,
Bankstown Memorial Oval
Bexley Cricket Ground
Bennett Park, Riverwood
Booralee Park, Botany
HMAS Nirimba, Quakers Hill
Jenson Oval, Sefton
Jubilee Oval, Glebe
Jubilee Oval, Kogarah
Lance Hutchinson Oval, Riverwood
Lehmann Oval, Green Valley
La Strange Park, Mascot
Killara Oval, Panania
MCE Oval, Holdsworthy
Masonic Grounds, Baulkham Hills
Moore Park (2)
North Sydney Oval
Postal Institute Ground, Kellyville
RAS Showground, Moore Park